Monday, January 12, 2015

Big question next steps

I was originally thinking about immortality and if such a thing is possible, and eventually that lead me to thinking about ancient history and how looking back to their civilizations and ways of life could help us further today's modern societies. I've always loved learning about history. It was always my favorite class in school, but it seems like there are a lot of people who don't retain the things they learn (or just don't consider it important). But it is important because "if you don't know history, you are doomed to repeat it" or something like that, and I think that's true. We've already pulled a lot of ancient ideas to use today, like forms of government. But eventually all of those civilizations fell, and that's not something people really think about. If history does repeat itself, then why can't we look back and try to find an accurate way to avoid it? Obviously, circumstances change and the world has different superpowers than it did thousands of years ago, so we can't exactly pinpoint how our country, or world, will fall apart. But there is no harm that could come from trying to avoid the mistakes made by people just like us thousands of years ago, and that goes for everybody. I hope it will get others to think about history more and put more value on it.
I don't think there are any skills required to learn about history, but finding ways to apply it to today could take some critical thinking.. My plan would be to go to the Getty Museum that houses artifacts from ancient Greece and Rome and just spend a day there learning about how people lived back then and what life was like because I don't think that, in their day to day life, they were that different. That's a huge thing to realize because at the end of the day, we're all the same, no matter where we're from or what era we live in. I don't think there's anyone in particular I would like to meet, but if there's a friendly curator who wouldn't mind spending the day talking about everything I see then that would be great. Obviously, I would like to take some people with me, so a car (or van, depending on how many want to go) I would need. The trip would be just to get an idea, and help others get an idea, of how important history is to us. I'll post updates of how things are going and working out, and a final post just to sum up what was learned and what everyone thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment