Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Canterbury Tales (I)

Chaucer spends a lot of time talking about how the nun has excellent table manners. I don't know why that matters. The nun would cry when an animal was hurt or dead but the monk liked to hunt them, and he lived richly while she really didn't. The monks, priests etc. were some of the most educated back then, yet this monk doesn't believe in education. Despite being a "holy man", he hunts even though that's considered unholy. He's just a total hypocrite. The merchant is in debt which is ironic because he handles money for a living, but can't seem to manage his own. The Oxford student is broke lol.  He talks about how amazing the cook is, then says he has an ulcer on his knee then goes back to food. Why? He doesn't spend a lot of time talking about the lower class people, I guess he considered them less important? which seems strange for a man who should have better beliefs than that based on his life experiences. The character's story that I most want to read is the nun's, mainly because she loves animals and so do I but honestly I didn't find any of them very interesting. Maybe the Oxford student.

No comments:

Post a Comment